Monday, May 11, 2015

Cultural Comparisons-Part 2

5.Cultural Comparisons

I spoke briefly in one of my previous blog posts about a few cultural comparisons, however I have learned so much since then about the differences in Czech and American culture, I wanted to dedicate another blog post to it. Here are a few more aspects I have learned from Czech Culture:

The little things aren't free.

In America it is so easy to take for granted the free water, condiments, and bread we receive at restaurants, but I have learned very quickly that most restaurants in European countries don’t offer that luxury. I have, however, found it very reasonable after learning about the shortage of water in many American states, due to the free water we offer. I will admit though, I was taken by surprise the first time I walked up to a line of shopping carts at the grocery store and realized they were not free. And then again, once I had checked out at the grocery store and did not receive free plastic bags. However I was most shocked the first time I was stopped before entering a restroom and asked to pay a fee. This aspect of culture has taken me a while to get used to but I believe it has made me more resourceful as well as cautious of the environment.

The big things are free.

I was so pleased to be from a country that didn't charge for things such as water, public restrooms and condiments until I learned that in Europe they pay small fees for those items and receive healthcare and education free of charge, which would obviously save a lot of money in the long run. In the United States healthcare and education are 2 of the most expensive things we pay for. I felt bad for the professor that taught us about this subject, as we were all very bitter that we will spend the rest of our lives paying off student loans while the kids across the Atlantic Ocean will come out of college debt free. I always knew that the prices of education were much higher in the United States, however, I was unaware college education was free in other countries, and if they get sick or injured they do not have to worry about spending their entire life savings on a surgery.

Czech’s behave in a much calmer manner than Americans.

Another aspect of culture that took me by surprise was the manner in which the people of the Czech Republic behave in public. It became evident the first time we rode the tram in silence where no one said a word for 30 minutes that American’s and Czech’s were very different. From my time in the Czech Republic, I have noticed that the people here are much quieter and more serious. They obviously enjoy going out and having a good time, just like the rest of us, they just behave differently while doing it. When Czech’s go out for the evening, they generally have a couple of beers and chill. Americans are known for being loud. Prior to coming on this trip, I never thought that was true, however I can now understand the stereotype. Another difference I noticed was the lack of friendliness on the streets. They rarely say hi to strangers on the streets, and if you ask them how they are doing, you will get a very honest response. This is a very drastic difference from Nebraska, where you say hi to everyone, and always tell people you are doing well, regardless of the truth. My description might make them sound rather rude which was not my intention. I know there are plenty of Czech’s that are great people, however it was just more difficult to get to know them due to the difference in culture.

It has been difficult getting accustom to these differences in culture, but overall while living in the Czech Republic. However from this I have become a more open-minded person, and I am more than excited to take my new perspectives back to the United States in just a few short weeks.

Can’t wait to see you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment