Monday, April 27, 2015

Nerozumím Česky

4. Language Barriers

While it has been very difficult to overcome the language barrier, it has made me more empathetic and understanding towards those who do not speak English in the United States. From ordering food, to finding directions, to just everyday conversation my perspective of learning a second language has altered completely. Before I came to the Czech Republic, I never understood the importance of learning a second language. Nearly all of the people I have met around Europe, speak at least two languages, if not more. Coming here allowed me to realize just how beneficial it can be. My experience in the Czech Republic has me thinking very hard about adding a Spanish minor to my studies.  

In the larger, touristy cities you can almost always find an English speaker. However, here in the smaller, less touristy city of Olomouc it is much less common to find someone who can speak English. Coming overseas, I did not know a single word of Czech. I have picked up a few things here and there from seeing the language so much, and have learned a lot in my Czech Language class, however I still find myself pointing to things on the menu and hoping for the best. It generally works out fine, but I do miss being able to say “with no mayo,” etc. It has, however made me a much less picky eater.

The language barrier has also proved to be very difficult, when I am lost and in need of directions. Even in the United States, being lost is always a stressful situation. However back home there is always the option of using a GPS or phone to navigate. Here, we unfortunately don’t have that luxury. Asking for directions from a local is always risky. There is always the chance that they misunderstood and have pointed you in the opposite direction. Getting lost is never ideal, but from this I have learned to stay calm during these stressful circumstances. I have been late and very close to missing multiple events, yet eventually I always end up where I need to be.

Small talk with strangers is not something I thought I would miss, but after a while you start to miss hearing friendly chat in a language you understand. Being from the Midwest especially, it is very common to politely say hello or wave to strangers, however, we learned very quickly from some of the native Czechs that it is uncommon to ask how others are doing, unless you really care.
Overall the language barrier has been difficult, but I believe it has changed my perspective on many aspects for the better. I feel as though I am getting the full study abroad experience by living in a city with less tourists, and having to overcome the language barrier.

Thanks for reading,


Na schledenou!

No comments:

Post a Comment